Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Voices Will Get You If You Are Not Careful...

Today I have decided to shout out my freedom from the voices.
What voices?......The voices in my head of course.
I know, I sound nuts.

See, I have always been a firm believer that man's spoken word (and also The Spoken Word) wield such power in the every day lives of people. You know...
If you don't believe you can do it, then you will fail.
Tell yourself you are a success and you will succeed.
You are what you eat. You are what you think. You are who you hang with.
So on and so forth.........

So, when my thoughts start getting complicated, I try with all of my might to not give voice to them. As loud as those thoughts get, I focus on my target and goal, what I know is right and responsible. It often reminds me of a scene in Star Wars when the rebel forces are getting ready to destroy the Death Star. As a fighter pilot is flying down the trench towards the exhaust port, he yells into his com device that it is too tight and difficult. You hear his commander saying firmly over and over again, "Stay on target! Stay on target! Stay on target......"
I actually hear that in my head when I feel life and my thoughts spinning out of control. Crazy huh?

Why bring all of this up? Well, for years (and I do mean years) I have run in different directions from a certain and particular thought that has plagued me. I won't bother naming that thought here and now because......it is meaningless. Let's just say that it was a big and monsterous thought....one that if I dared be so stupid as to act out on it......the ramifications would re-set the earth into a different orbit.
I ran. I metephorically stuck my fingers in my ears so I couldn't hear it. I focused on every responsible thing I could think of. But the thought grew and began to have a life of it's own. It would corner me in the dark shadows and whisper to me when I least expected it. It was horrible!

One day though, I learned a lesson. Sometimes, giving voice to those monstorous thoughts can cause the overwhelming and make-believe bubble world to pop.
Reality seeped in gradually and colored my world in new hues.
I have to laugh at myself now...holding onto a thought such as that for so long.
I can now hear a thick french accented voice smiling at me and saying,

"You silly little girl."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from other. Your opinions and viewpoints are always a blessing and encourage other readers as well.