Thursday, May 17, 2007

And So It Begins

I have often thought of doing something like this....keeping a journal or something to that effect. However much I think on it though, I talk myself out of it.
"Will I say something I will regret later?"
"Will someone I know read this and be shocked?"

For now at least, I think it doesn't matter. My daughters have encouraged me to just step out and give it a try and stop thinking so much.

Whether I do this for two weeks or 40 years, I can add this to my list of accomplishments.
So here I begin.

The stone of knowledge that I have learned today:
You know the old saying that states if you put a frog in cool water and slowly turn up the heat, he won't know that he is being cooked? The same holds true for frogs in lights. How crushed I was today to find that I killed my daughter's frog, affectionately named Luke Skywalker.

It all began as a science experiement....catching a tadpole and watching the miracle transformation that God engineered. The process was so amazingly fast! We sat in awe as each day brought on great changes for young Skywalker. Last night, his tail went away and we awoke to find a fully developed frog in our bowl. He was so cute! We took his picture and everything.
The day turned to tragedy though, when I turned the warming lamp on just like every other day of his tadpole life. There sat Luke on his rock, soaking up the warmth but not having anywhere to hide when he got warm enough in his little bowl home. When I checked on him a mere hour later, he fell over like a statue.....

Oh how guilty I felt. One daughter proclaimed, "Mom it is okay. Get a grip. He was just a science experiment." My other daughter hugged me and quietly went in her room to cry at the loss.
Yes, he was HER experiment.

Parenting is fun.

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure how I can compete with that. ha! what I like is how there was truth to it. but it wasn't so wildly in-depth and novellic, so to speak. I like the writing style where we will learn the names, experiences, places, and you, as time goes on. there doesn't need to be any background
    provided - no need for any backstory. the reader is just right in it, being transformed by your words...

    no pressure for a second entry, eh?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from other. Your opinions and viewpoints are always a blessing and encourage other readers as well.