Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Alisa and Asami.....


Last spring when we decided to be a short term host home for Japanese students that would be visiting Pippin's school, we didn't know what the experience would be like. Though our home is small, we asked for 2 girls to be placed with us in hopes that having someone familiar in our home would help them to adjust.
....
We prepared as best as we could....cleaned the house, pumped up the air mattresses, stocked the kitchen with extra food, and tried to brush up on the little Japanese that we know. Still, questions nagged at me. Would we provide a good experience for them? Would the food I make be pleasing to them? Would they like us? Would I be able to comfort them when they miss home and family? Would we bridge the barrier of being acquaintances and become friends?
....
Finally the day came when we would meet "our girls". We prepared welcome signs (Rosie wrote "youkoso" in Hiragana which means "Welcome! Nice to see you."), and we bought balloons and tied them to little stuffed animals. With gifts in hand, we walked into the school ready for a new adventure. As soon as I met Alisa and Asami, I knew I had worried for nothing. As they introduced themselves to us with english phrases that they had been practicing all day, I realized that they must have been having much of the same worries that I had.
....
Now a week has gone by and I must take them to the airport tomorrow. As I look back over this week, I find that it has been quite an educational experience. We had a great time introducing our girls to life in America. We visited the horses at the barn and played games around the dining room table. We explored the different falls along the old highway and crafted memory bracelets at my mom's house. We walked every inch of the mall, ate at the local pizza buffet, and ventured through the wonders of the supermarket. We even learned to joke with each other as we tried to wrap our brains around the language barrier and trip over words.
....
Even more than all of the fun experiences I just mentioned, it has been a heart experience for us all. Both Alisa and Asami have been so courageous to go on this adventure across the ocean and we feel honored to have played a part in their memories. After only a week, I feel such a loss that they are leaving. Their smiles, sincerity, and compassion have blessed me. Yesterday I finally asked them if it would be okay for me to hug them. Alisa and Asami both blessed my heart with claps and big smiles as they jumped on each side of me in a sandwich hug full of giggles.
....
Tonight, we had a farewell dinner at the school and the 27 students all shared with their host families some Japanese culture. We were able to look at childrens books, play games, we learned to write some hiragana and katakana, and did origami. The students closed the evening by singing to us a song in Japanese. Yes, I cried. I couldn't help feeling a bit like a proud mom as I stood up and took pictures.
....
As they head back to Japan, their families, and their futures, I pray that in some way, this trip will always bring smiles to their faces as they look back on it all. I know it will always hold a spot in my heart for me.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post. My wife and I have hosted several students from Japan and one from Spain. We were introduced to hosting by my parents who dit it for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for coming by and enjoying. Being a host home really is a fun experience isn't it? We have already decided that we will do it again when Andeo calls.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from other. Your opinions and viewpoints are always a blessing and encourage other readers as well.