Saturday, February 27, 2010

Miracle Cobbler....

Miracle Cobbler

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 quart fruit

Melt butter and blend all ingredients together
minus the fruit. Pour batter and drop fruit by spoonfuls. Bake 350 degrees until top is nicely brown. 30-40 minutes if in square or rectangle pan. Muffin tins take about 25 minutes. I used skim milk, no salt, and half a can of blackberry pie filling. Makes approximately 16 muffins.

I have seen this exact recipe and variations of it in many cookbooks. Miracle Cake, Cobbler Fun, Dump Cake; I prefer Miracle Cobbler for a good name but no matter what its called the end result is a yummy treat made from simple basics in any kitchen.

Not long after we were married and stationed in Oklahoma, a friend shared this recipe with me. Since I had no cooking skills of any sort aside from browning ground beef and mixing it with a box of mac-n-cheese, I loved this recipe for its tastiness and ease. Over the years I have played with it and learned that it is a very forgiving treat. I have used applesauce and/or pureed peaches instead of butter and it seems to accept any sort of fruit (fresh, canned or frozen) besides pineapple or kiwi. I've doubled the batter to make a 9x13 size or like the above picture made individual muffin shaped servings.

Last night I was looking through Daddy's pantry and found 3 cans of Blackberry pie filling. With 3 cans laying around, I figured it is a taste he must like and decided that a "Miracle" would be the perfect temptation. Praise God! Daddy has sampled grilled cheese, a couple pieces of chicken and a mini shredded taco over the last week with a degree of disappointment in his taste buds. But the individual cobbler I put in a bowl for him was totally devoured with sighs and smiles. As he finished, he commented that my step-mom had been planning on making him a blackberry cobbler but never had the opportunity to once her cancer set in.

Wow! Had he really been thinking about that taste for 2 years?
I am so grateful that he enjoyed it.
So grateful it blessed him.
So very grateful God gave me the idea.
God You are so AWESOME!


1 comment:

  1. What a brilliant and simple recipe. I love the idea of making it in muffin tins.

    And love even more that your Daddy so enjoyed eating one. You seem to performing more than a few miracles yourself at the moment.

    Much love and care, Michelle (once more snores from Zebby)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from other. Your opinions and viewpoints are always a blessing and encourage other readers as well.