Sunday, October 30, 2011

To Fear Or Not To Fear


Recently someone said something to me that has turned my world topsy-turvy.  I have since been chewing on it, trying it on for size and finally deciding that it is complete truth that needs to be added to my daily learning. May I take you on the ride with me in hopes of being encouragement to you as well?

His statement went something like this....
'In our daily habits we find it so easy to label fear as a feeling. We say it all the time, "I feel scared." or "I feel afraid." But the truth that I want to suggest to you is that fear is not a feeling. In actuality, it is a spirit.

2 Timothy 1:7 says: For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control.

This verse refers to having God's love, a calm well disciplined mind balanced and self control as being a spirit. This, I have always believed, comes from the presence of God living in us when we choose to have Him in our daily and eternal lives. The concept of knowing God can change my attitudes and emotions and fill my thoughts with ideas of His goodness; yes those things I understood.


But the idea that fear is a spirit....well this is new to me.
As I said before, I have been thinking about this statement a lot and it is exploding in my mind with shock waves of implication. Not only in this verse, but in others that I found as I was researching for myself, God refers to fear as a spirit. If it is a spirit then it does not belong in my DNA makeup.

Does that mean that I will never ever have fear again?
No. On the contrary, I do have times of fear. What it does mean is that when I recognize that fear is on me, I can choose to say, "Fear is not a spirit that comes from God so it does not have to grip and take control of me. Instead, I choose to have a spirit of calm and well balanced mind and discipline and self control."

To me, that is a very empowering notion to be able to do. It also makes me want to apply it to other unwanted feelings that run through me. Thoughts of doubt, self esteem, self centering, depression, stress, anger.....these things do not belong to God so they do not have to belong to me either. 

As I go about my daily things, I have been super charged with thoughts of.....
I choose joy.
I choose to think with a sound mind.
I choose to be loving and calm.
I choose....

Thank You God for your joy, your love and your spirit that You give with delight to all who ask.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from other. Your opinions and viewpoints are always a blessing and encourage other readers as well.