Friday, November 12, 2010

The Funeral....

Yesterday was Daddy's funeral service. How appropriate that we were able to make arrangements for it to be on Veteran's Day to honor him. The service was beautiful. I have been to a fair amount of funerals in my life for family and friends but none have ever been as difficult as this was. I was completely unprepared and it took me quite a while before I could walk into the room where Daddy's open casket was. Later, I felt the earth spin under my feet when the honor guard presented me with his flag and as the gun volley rang through the air I could feel it echo in my heart.

I am so very tired and find myself stopping in the midst of the simplest task. We are taking a few days to try and help get some things organized with the house and will fly back home on Monday.

Below are the things my brother and I shared during the service. I am so proud of my brother. Before he shared the poem he had written a few years ago, he gave everyone time to think about their relationships with God and the assurance that they too could have access to the strength and comfort that God generously gave to Daddy in this last year.
Here is the poem he wrote....

My Pop

My Pop you should know that I love you so.
You are my friend, my guardian and mentor.
There are so many gifts you've given to me
that I would like to thank you for...

You showed to me what it is to be
Light hearted but not fully a clown.
You taught me how to ride a bike
And to pick myself up when I've fallen down.

I've inherited your laugh and your love of words,
Your vocabulary and your diction,
And even your knack for pausing mid-sentence
..........
To make sure they are still paying attention.

I've been given your walk, your swagger and strut.
Man I got some teasing on that one.
but I just flash 'em your smile and a raise of the eyebrow
And together we all can laugh some.

All this and more you've passed to your son
To mold me into a good man
And I'm proud to be what you've helped me to be
In your image, the man I am.


Here is what I shared.......

I have been trying for days to figure out what I could possibly say that could sum up the life of my daddy. What could I share with you about his character that you don’t already know? How could I put to words the joy and honor of being his little girl for almost 40 years? Even ample use of a thesaurus doesn’t fully give meaning to his determined and unending devotion. And the wealth that I have owned in my relationship with him I have seen magnified over and over again in each of you.

While it pains my heart so greatly to know that I won’t feel those snuggly cuddly papa bear hugs anymore or hear his voice saying, “Good night angel. I love you.” I know that he is in the most amazing place now and I am so happy for him. He is not hurting and he is surrounding by so much joy and love from the amazing star breather and universe creating God that made all of our lives and relationships possible.

Instead I want to share with you a dream that a friend of mine from back home had just before Daddy passed away. This friend never met my daddy but has faithfully prayed for him as well as all of us since the beginning of his sickness. Here is the dream she saw….

Jody's Home-Going

I saw 2 very large angels with gold wing's that nearly touched the ground.
There were 2 large gates with 1 angel in back of each gate. The air was tense, like the feeling at a race before the gun goes off, or your team runs on the field. I could tell the gate angels could hardly wait.

A large
group of restless people were a short distance from the angels. I did not hear a sound, but I knew when the Lord said "now", in a normal tone - like saying hello if He first met you.

Each gate angel
grabbed their gate and threw it wide open. The crowd roared and ran forward. Every person wanted to be the first to hug, shake hands, or pat Jody on the back.

The crowd was so large those toward the back could not see who had arrived. Then people in front started calling back. It's Jody! It's Jody!! It's Jody!! Jody's Home!! Jody's
home!! This is as much as I saw, however I have a very strong feeling the party is still going on.


6 comments:

  1. I have been out of town for several days and I just logged on and saw your post. I am sorry for you loss! Do get some rest - it will take a while, but give yourself the time. Have a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,

    You are amazing and I love you.....

    Be at peace (shalom) in your thoughts, emotions and your physical body in Jesus Name. Be at rest with your Creator in your times of stillness and hear His still small voice. Be wrapped in His big, loving arms and know that you are so loved and adored by the everlasting Father. He knows your needs and weaknesses and wants to pour into you even more at this season than you ever expected or thought about. Be blessed in Him~

    Love Helene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,

    We want you to know our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this time. What a wonderful gift for you and your father that you were able to be there to love him and help him prepare for his exit from this life and his entrance into His presence and Christ's eternal joy.

    We know it's been physically, emotionally, and spiritually demanding and exhausting for you and your family. I hope you all will be able to take the time for some rest and renewal. If you'd like to come out when things have settled for you please let us know, this is a good and regenerative place.

    In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

    Love, Lonnie and Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very sorry about the loss of your father. That was a beautiful and touching post.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Jules...I am so sorry for your loss of your Daddy, but so happy he is safely home with his loving Father. I know the pain and loss in losing a father. He leaves a deep hole in your heart....BUT you are now able to 'talk' to him whenever and wherever you are. I talk to my dad most often when I'm at the computer, and in the car. And yes...he 'visits' me often....always here at home.

    The story about the angels gave me chills. I fervently believe they were there to greet him. What a beautiful site!

    Your post touched my heart. I am so glad I was able to 'help' you through this in some way. Know that my continued prayers are with you, Jules~

    xoxoxox Carol

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from other. Your opinions and viewpoints are always a blessing and encourage other readers as well.